Mission, Objectives and Mandate
The mission of the WUOF, in accordance with its MEMBER SOCIETIES is to advance and stimulate education, research, and the highest quality of patient care in the field of urologic oncology.
The objectives of the WUOF are to:
- Act as a medium for deliberation, for exchange of ideas, knowledge, skills and experience, and for compiling and disseminating information
- Organize international congresses, conferences, seminars and courses of instruction;
- Encourage, by all means at its disposal, research into Urologic Cancer as well as measures suitable for their prevention and cure
- Facilitate the development and coordination of Uro Oncology Fellowship training throughout the world
- Encourage the formation and development of national and regional organizations throughout the world, and assist and stimulate such organizations through the exchange of information;
- Assist National Member Organizations (NMOs) in establishing and developing programs which will further the attainment of its objective, in co-operation with government agencies and other private and public bodies
- Co-operate with other international organizations, both governmental and nongovernmental, in advancing the welfare of patients with Urologic Cancers, which has been a productive partnership. In future, we anticipate that the journal will publish a supplement based on the presentations at the annual WUOF conference.
The field of urologic oncology faces challenges and opportunities which are shared by colleagues throughout the world. Clinical practice is shifting towards an increased reliance on image guided minimally invasive therapy and multi-modality therapy. Surgical extirpation of urologic cancer is likely to become less common.
Urologic oncologists in the future will likely encompass expertise in systemic therapy, noninvasive ablative therapies, and other non-surgical aspects of care. This raises many issues related to training, scope of practice, and accreditation. The road is likely to have some bumps.
Successes in one region will help those in other regions as long as there is close communication and collegiality. We believe, that the WUOF can play a major role in enhancing communication between urologic oncologists around the world and building bridges between the regional societies, as well as putting on an outstanding and unique World Urologic Oncology Conference annually.